At Jewelry Celebrity, we create jewelry that is meant to last many, many years. Fashion jewelry is fun, unique, and a great way to revamp your outfit. To keep your jewelry fabulous and fresh, we have created this very comprehensive guide to caring for your costume/fashion jewelry.
QUICK TIPS: MAKE YOUR JEWELRY LAST (ALMOST) FOREVER
1. Keep your jewelry away from
- dishwashing soap
- silver cleaner
- other harsh chemicals
2. Your jewelry should be the last thing you put on and the first thing you take off
3. Store your jewelry properly
1. KEEP YOUR JEWELRY TARNISH FREE BY KEEPING YOUR JEWELRY DRY
- Don't Wash Dishes or do Laundry With Your Jewelry on. Many cleaning products that come into contact with your beautiful jewelry that can take off the finish. Why? Because of the harsh chemicals.
- Don't Wear Jewelry In Pool or at the Spa. Chlorinated water can react with the metals found in jewelry causing your awesome bangle or necklace to change color.
- Don't Use Jewelry Cleaner. Cleaner made for silver, gold, or platinum is way too harsh for fashion jewelry which is usually plated with these precious metals.
- Don't Put on Lotion or Perfume with your Jewelry on. For the same reasons listed above, lotions and perfumes that are not 100% natural can react unfavorably with your jewelry.
2. LAST ON, FIRST OFF
- Put Your Jewelry on After You Put Your Clothes on and Before Your Take Your Clothes Off. Doing this will ensure that your clothing doesn't get caught on your sweater or t-shirt during the clothing removal process. An accidental pull of your necklace while taking off your shirt can cause a chain or string to break!
- Remove Your Jewelry During Activities. When performing mundane and fun tasks, such as laundry, cooking, or gardening, remove your jewelry to prevent physical damage or exposure to cleaning chemicals or cleaning fluids.
- Put Jewelry On After Applying Hairspray and Makeup. This goes back to keeping your jewelry dry. Perfumes, hairspray, lotion, and makeup usually contain harsh chemicals that can damage your beautiful jewelry. By waiting until you are all done your beauty routine you can avoid potential damage.
3. STORE YOUR FASHION JEWELRY PROPERLY TO KEEP IT LOOKING GREAT FOR YEARS!
- Keep Your Jewelry Secure. Store your jewelry in a jewelry box or other secure container that will prevent your baubles from moving around. You can also store your jewelry in a silk or velvet pouch and put each pouch in a decorative shoe box.
Use Anti-tarnish Paper. When storing your fashion jewelry try wrapping each piece in anti-tarnish paper. If you don't have anti-tarnish paper use an eyeglass cloth instead!
Avoid Air! The air around us is what makes metal tarnish. We recommend using a ziplock or sandwich bag with the air squeezed out to prevent oxidization.
We hope these tips help you to keep your jewelry looking great from now until forever.